Do you have a digital nomad friend and have no idea what to get them for Christmas (or for their birthday)? Or maybe you are a digital nomad yourself but feel totally out of ideas? This short gift guide will give you ideas of gifts that are practical for frequent travelers or digital nomads and most of them don’t cost a fortune.
Most digital nomads I know will be happy to receive portable digital equipment as gifts. Here are a few ideas:
- Mobile hotspot. There’s nothing worse than getting to the location of your dreams, finding the perfect working spot, and realizing your WiFi is unreliable. Mobile hotspots are the perfect solution for this moment and any remote worker will be happy to have one.
- Global hotspot. This one is made for the same horrific moment as the mobile hotspot. Its advantage though is that it doesn’t require a local SIM card.
- Keyboard protection. There’s nothing worse than ruining your laptop by spilling coffee, tea, or other beverages on your keyboard. You’ll know this even if you are not a remote worker. Freelancers working in bed or other weird spots will appreciate this even more than the person who works in an office.
- Laptop sleeve. In case you didn’t realize it yet, digital nomads have a special relationship with their laptop. They also carry it everywhere, so a laptop sleeve to protect their most prized possession is always a nice gift.
- External drive. Sometimes you just need more space than what the laptop can offer for those nice photos. This gift is perfect for anyone who travels frequently.
- External battery. You know that moment when you’re in a new city and you rely on Google Maps for every step you take? The worst possible nightmare in these cases is running out of battery to your phone. External batteries save lives of digital nomads!
- Headphones. Whether you are working in the same space as others, traveling for long hours, or simply need to isolate from silly conversations, headphones are the best.
- Kindle (or another e-book reader). This is a gift that depends a lot on the person, as not all digital nomads love to spend time immersed in a book. However, if your friend does, and if he/she complains how hard it is to carry all the books, or how they wished they could carry all their favorite books, e-book readers will be the perfect gift!
If you know they have a Kindle already, or if you have a bigger budget and don’t want to give them a blank e-book reader, getting e-books is the perfect gift. What books, you ask? Well, if you don’t know the person well enough to know their taste, you could actually try something business/digital nomad oriented. Even if they’ve never read something like that, it’s still better than to give them a Sci-Fi book if they hate that genre.
So maybe go for something in the financial area, financial planning, marketing, branding, getting more clients, etc. It depends a bit about their line of work or what they are currently doing, what they are headed towards. Personal development books are also a good idea, especially if the person you are buying the gift for is in a transition period, maybe they just started they digital nomad journey, or changed their area of work. If it’s someone you know really well and you know their favorite authors, the choice is much easier.
Backpacks, especially the foldable kind are awesome! If you know the person a bit better you could also go for clothing items such as raincoats, sweatshirts, hats, and more. Remember it should be practical, that can be easily squeezed in the bad (or is a travel bag). Tripods and even selfie sticks can be appreciated. It depends on how much time your friend spends documenting his/her moves around the world.
Does this even need an explanation? It’s an easy way to make someone happy without putting in a lot of effort. It is also great if it’s someone you don’t know well enough to be able to buy them clothing or shoes or makeup, but you know that they actually need something like that. All you gotta do is figure out which shop they love and get them a gift card.
I hope you enjoyed this little gift guide for digital nomads. Do you have gift ideas that were not included here? Leave a comment below and help others find the perfect gift.
If you like the idea of this series, see here all the topics that will be covered. Or you can subscribe to receive all the posts in your inbox.